Dragons Battle but Split Weekend ? Coach Curran?s Recap

Written by Coach Curran

The Drumheller Dragons had back-to-back games this past weekend at the Memorial Arena and went one and one against the Spruce Grove Saints and the Drayton Valley Thunder.


First up were the always tough Spruce Grove Saints. The Saints have a good mix of youth and veterans on their team and have had a great start to their season.

The Dragons lost 5-0 but this was ultimately a game that was lost in 4 minutes in the first period. The game started out at a fast pace, with both teams trading scoring chances in the first 16 minutes of the game, but the Dragons’ defensive coverage in the last 4 minutes of the first period was poor. The Saints took advantage and scored three quick goals going into the first intermission.

The Saints would go up 4-0 in the second period and add an empty net goal late in the third period to take a 5-0 win.

Although 5-0 doesn’t sound like it was a good game, for all except about 7 minutes I thought we pushed the pace and had a lot of quality scoring chances. It was fast-paced and there was great intensity from our team and we never gave up. Their goalie played very well and if not for him, this may have been a much tighter game on the score board. We just need to be much more dedicated in our own zone for the full 60 minutes.


Drayton Valley Thunder were next for the Dragons, and both prior games we have played them it has taken a shootout or overtime for the Dragons to pull out the win.

In the first period, Levi Johnson gave the Dragons a 1-0 lead but near the end of the period the Thunder tied the game. In the second period the Dragons outshot Drayton Valley 15-0 but their goaltender was up to the task keeping the game tied after one period.

In the third period, on goals by Bradley Stonnell, newcomer Cody Young, and Chad Hurtubise, the Dragons went up 4-1 less than halfway through the period. In the last half of the period, the Dragons went down two men giving Drayton Valley a 2-minute 2-man advantage. However the Dragons’ penalty killing units did a great job killing off both penalties, and an excellent performance from our goaltender Hunter Virostek, gave us the 4-1 win.

It was great to see the boys respond after the loss the previous night and especially nice as most of their parents were in the building for Parents Night. I think the game had some great moments but for myself the game the night before against Spruce Grove we played a much more complete game other than several minutes.

A special thanks to all the Dragons’ parents that came this weekend.

Photo by Broken Curfew Photography