Dragons Playoffs in Review – Coach Oly’s Recap – Round 1, Game 3

Written by Coach Oly

Well we had an exciting game 3 tonight here in Drumheller! Dragons came out flying in the first period.  Kleiner took a shot from the point and Clay Keeley was hard at work in front of the net to tip in the first goal of the game.  Nate Keeley had the assist giving us the 1-0 lead early in the game.  Dragons kept the pressure on and Nate Keeley scored a goal 4 minutes later in play to give us a 2-0 lead.  Boguslavsky had the assist on the Keeley goal and carried on to score the third goal (assisted by Kartusch and Dudley) right around the half way mark.  Canucks had 3 Power Play opportunities in the first period but our Penalty Kill unit was strong and denied them all 3 chances.

Canucks took advantage of our only penalty of the 2nd period and scored a goal on the Power Play just 2 minutes into the period.  We had a few opportunities to score in the 2nd including 2 Power Plays but just couldn’t beat Price to add to the lead. We finished the 2nd period up 3-1.  Both teams battled hard in the 3rd period, the fans enjoyed high tempo back and forth play through the 3rd period.  Canucks pulled their goalie for a 6 on 5 attack and had the final goal of the game with only 20 seconds left on the clock for a 3-2 final.

It was a great atmosphere in the rink, the excitement of the crowd helped fuel the Dragons fire.  No doubt this was an important win for the Dragons but tomorrow is a new day, we can’t look back and we can’t look forward – we have work to do.  We took more penalties than I would like to see in the 1st period but I was happy to see the boys settle down and focus on the game.  We definitely had the start to the game we have been working for and showed good signs of playing the style of hockey we are teaching throughout the game.  We need to work on our second period play for tomorrows game and make sure we come out strong again in the 3rd if we hope to come out ahead. We hope to see all of our fans again tomorrow!

Photo by Broken Curfew Photography