Two Tough Losses for the Dragons!!

The Drumheller dragons had a tough weekend as they hosted the top team in the league on Saturday, The Spruce Grove Saints, and followed it up with a game against the top team in the North, the Camrose Kodiaks, on the road.

Saturday, the Dragons came out strong against the Saints in a very fast 1st period that saw both teams trading scoring chances but it would be the Dragons who would lead after the 1st 2-0.
The second period saw the Saints pick up their pace. The Saints would score to cut the lead in half but strong goaltending from Johnny Hogue would keep the score at 2-1 entering the third.
In the third, the action would pick up from both teams and Mitch Cook  would give the Dragons a 3-1 lead. However there is a reason the Saints are where they are as they would fight back several minutes later and cut the lead to 3-2. Both teams played a hard period and Rory Davidson would be awarded a penalty shot to increase the lead but the Saints goalie came up with a big save and it would stay 3-2.
The Saints had a chance to tie the game on the PP but the Dragons killed off the penalty and it would remain 3-2.  The Dragons also had their chance on the powerplay  with under 4 minutes to play but the Saints would kill off that penalty and as their player came out of the box the Saints capitalized on an odd man rush and would tie the game at 3.

OT would solve nothing and it was off to another shoot out for the Dragons in three out of their last four games. The Saints would complete the come back and win the game on a controversial goal.
Both teams played well and it was a very entertaining game for all.

The Dragons travelled to Camrose Sunday for a tough divisional match up.  Although the Dragons have been unable to beat the Kodiaks this season the games arguably could have gone either way.
The Kodiaks and the Dragons would be off to another tough game as both teams played strong defence and limited scoring chances. The Dragons, due to an injury to Curtis Skip, would give Xavier Burghardt his first A.J.H.L start and he would play a very solid game. The Kodiaks scored the only goal of the period and lead 1-0.
Second period saw much of the same but the Dragons would get on the board to tie the game and it would seem to stay that way but the Kodiaks on a shoot in would get a lucky bounce their way and would leave the second period with a 2-1 lead.

Third period saw the Dragons tie the game and with under 5 minutes left the Dragons would get PP but unfortunately a miss played puck would see the Kodiaks go in on a 2 on 1 and score a nice goal giving the Kodiaks the eventual game winner. Camrose finished it off with an empty net goal making it 4-2.

The Dragons are off to Fort McMurray to play Saturday January 24th at 8pm and then leave to play in Bonnyville January25th in an afternoon game at 2 pm. Dragons next home game will be January 30th against the Old Grizzly's at 7:30 pm.