Dragons Lose in Double Overtime

It was a do or die game for the Dragons which ended in a heartbreaking loss but what a game it was for all those there, and those watching and listening!

First period action saw both teams come out strong with opportunities at both ends but it would be the Kodiaks that would score first. Several minutes later though the Dragons would score and at the end of the first the teams would be tied at one. As a fan you could see that this game was going to be like every other game with the momentum changing with every minute, and a very tight game.

Second period was much like the first with Kodiaks scoring their second of the night but it would be Dakota Zaharichuk scoring his second of the game to once again tie the game and at the end of the second it was a 2-2 tie.

The third period saw the Kodiaks come out flying and the only answer for the Dragons was Curtis Skip who played unbelievable and kept the Kodiaks off the board. The Dragons however had a chance to win the game when Mitchell Cook intercepted a pass played by the Kodiaks goalie and came out front with an empty net but just couldn't get the puck up.  The third period would end 2-2 and for the third time in the series OT was needed.

The first OT period saw two teams play their hearts out trading opportunities it seemed every shift with both goaltenders making key saves throughout the OT.  With several minutes left a shot from the point from Tristan Thompson found its way to the net and with Hunter Mills parked out front he would take a swing at the puck deflecting off a Kodiak player and with Macdonald down it looked like the puck was going in the top of the net.  in what could possibly be a once in a lifetime moment the lights flickered  followed by a power outage, the arena was pitch black and now it was up to the referees to decide. Their decision; no goal. Coach Curran, “I would love to tell you what I really thought but when does anyone see something like that. How can you go after the refs, I myself would have hard time making that decision, but I did see where the puck was going like it was in slow motion and I knew our boys on the bench saw the same. That's just bad luck I guess.”

Second OT, Again both teams played hard but half way through the period it would be a face off in the Dragons end and the Kodiaks would score and end the series.

Coach Curran, “I’m very proud of our boys. They never gave up and they played so hard. It was tough to lose the way we did but we played a very good team and with the effort we gave there is no reason to hang our heads. I would also like to thank our ownership, the staff, security, volunteers, corporate sponsors, parents and billets families and most of all our fans. You were there for the team and the organization. We truly appreciate your support and couldn’t do it without you and look forward to seeing you all next season. Thank You”